muchRandom

muchRandom

Purpose of Blog

Howdy traveler.
Welcome to my blog where I delve into whatever I find interesting at the moment. I have a great deal of hobbies and some of them I would like to share with all of you.

Compugame Cabinet

Project Arcade RestorePosted by Rasmus RolfshĂžj Tue, September 13, 2016 23:24:17
The Mortal Kombat restore was bringing me down... It's hard to repair what you don't have. And the MK Cabinet was missing too many original parts for me to get it to where I wanted it to be. So while browsing for parts I stumbled across a for sale article for a Compugame Arcade Cabinet. Article said that the machine didn't work anymore but not what was wrong with it. I really didn't want to get into another machine where I would have to search for parts all over the world. The compugame cases are a lot more common and it should be easier finding original spare parts for it. So I bought it and brought it home. As you can see its dusty, it doesn't work and something lived in it at some point. Yes this is a picture of poooo. Hehe.
Poo aside I could see great potential in this machine and I already loved it.
The very sweet lady who sold the machine told me that it had been in her fast food restaurant many years ago and since then had been sitting in her garage for several years. It is really cool getting the story behind the machine and I like the idea of this being a burger join machine :D.
There was a game connected to the system, that turned out to be a "Bootleg Super Bubble Bobble". However when the machine died it must have done some damage to the board. I tested it and it powers up and gives you the title screen but doesn't react to inputs like start or coin up. I will delve further into this later.
However she also sold me a Neo Geo MVS board with a "Puzzle Bobble" cartridge.
Tested and it works great.
Looking through the parts of the machine I could see that it indeed was all original parts. Question was how many of them were working...
The Jamma harness had been chewed up or ripped apart. Perhaps when the coin mechanism was removed from the front of the cabinet. It was missing pins and some of the power wires had come undone.
I started testing each wire for continuity and began to move each wire to a new 56pin jamma connector I had bought online. It takes some time to solder all those connections but it is well worth knowing that the connections are solid.
Moreover the MVS board uses a variation of the jamma pin out, so I might do a simple fingerboard converter in the near future.